Open to any young person who qualifies by age.
- Childs 6 years or under
- Junior 7 years thru 12 years
- Teen 13 years thru 17 years
Judging in this department will be based upon the attractiveness and originality of your display as well as completeness, planning and evidence of study and knowledge of the field and based on the following rules:
- Separate prizes will be issued for each division as noted. Only Berlin residents are eligible to compete in the Berlin Fair book cover contest.
- Exhibits will be received on the 2 days previous to the Fair. Wednesday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Note: No Flowers, Vegetables or Bakery on Wednesday), Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- No youth may enter more than four (4) exhibits.
- All exhibits, except collections, must be made or grown by the exhibitor. Exceptions – decorated pumpkins, decorated vegetables and potato pets.
- No items of violence.
- All items must be ready for displaying, securely fastened, exhibitors will not be allowed to set up their exhibit.
- No exhibit, can be removed before 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. all food items not removed before 7:30 p.m. will be considered donated to the fair. Lions not responsible for any damage to entries or for items not removed Sunday night.
Grand Prize – Rosette Special
Rosette Special will be awarded for most outstanding exhibit in:
- Childs Division – $5.00
- Junior Division – $5.00
- Teen Division – $5.00
- Photography – $5.00
- No numbered work will be accepted.
- No pre-printed pages allowed. For example, Velvet art and coloring book pages.
- No Box Mixes
- No Items Requiring Refrigeration
- All collections shall be suitably displayed and fastened together for exhibiting.
- Not to exceed 18″L x 24″W x 12″H space.
- Collections of book matches or weapons not acceptable.
- Collections must be properly secured to display.
Berlin Fair Premium Book Cover Contest
Any Berlin resident, 18 years of age or under, may develop artwork for the Berlin Fair Premium Book’s cover under the following rules:
- The theme of the cover should be consistent with the tradition of the Berlin Fair which revolves around agriculture, horticulture, crafts, entertainment, shows, food, children and the family unit.
- Medium: Black and white only (no photographs). Example: pen and ink, scratchboard, etc. Artwork should be predominantly black image on white background and un-mounted pictures.
- Sizes: Choose any one of the following 4 sizes. Remember to layout image on page with artwork bleeding beyond specified size crop marks. (A) 6″ x 9″ (B) 8-1/2″ x 12-3/8″ (C) 10-1/4″ x 15-1/4″ (D). 12″ x 18″
- Cover text (e.g., Berlin Fair, date, sponsorship, logo) will be laid out and supplied by printer. Artwork should allow for these elements to be put in. Artists should sign their work.
- Entries will be separately judged. Winning artist will receive a $100 prize, and the winning design will appear on the cover of next year’s Berlin Fair Premium Book and on our web site www.ctberlinfair.com. The artist’s name acknowledged on the cover of the book and on the web site.
- Winning Entry becomes the property of the Berlin Lions Club.
- All items must be hand-made. No kits acceptable.
- Only Commercially printed snapshots will be accepted (4 photos per child).
- Snapshots should be 4×6.
- “My Favorite Pet” ONLY open to youths – (Limit 2 Photos, not included in the 4 exhibit limit) no size restrictions as in other categories.
- NO FRAMES ALLOWED
- Matting allowed on all photos except “My Favorite Pet”.
- All entries must be grown by exhibitor.
State Baking Contest
First place winner of the “Berlin Fair” contest will compete with other State Fair Winners at Annual Association Meeting.